Sunday, July 10, 2011

Uganda Day 1 and Day 2 - A Perfect Injustice

Our team of 11 landed in Entebbe, Uganda on Monday morning, June 6. 
Here is the landscape as we were approaching Entebbe
 Here is Lake Victoria (yes, THE LAKE VICTORIA!!)
We were met by Emma and George (Emma's African brother) and 2 taxis. 
Here I am with George at the work site
 Brianna and George
 Our taxis (taken at the work site)
One taxi just for our luggage and the other for us!  We were all very quiet on our ride to our Guest house in Kampala.  I'm not sure if we were all taking in the sights and sounds of Uganda or if we were still recovering from our 3 day trip to Uganda.  As soon as we got to the Guest house we all quickly changed into work clothes and we headed out to the work site where the other half of the team had already been working all morning.  We then traveled about an hour to Bombo to the site of a house being built for A Perfect Injustice.  A Perfect Injustice is an organization that cares for the street boys of Kampala.  They do a feeding program in the slums 5 days a week as well.  They take boys off the street and give them a home, education, and hope in Christ Jesus.  A Perfect Injustice has a Kampala house and the plan is to move the boys currently in that house to the Bombo house when it is finished and then to get more boys off the street for the Kampala house.  After arriving, we met the rest of the team and got right to work throwing bricks.  Imagine a zig zag line of people tossing bricks one to the other for hours.  These bricks weighed approximately 10 pounds and were very dusty.  Here are the piles of bricks that need moved.
I am tossing to Alei
Here is Brianna and Sarah in mid throw
Here is the house we were building
I am laying a brick
 Brianna's turn to lay a brick
Our team!!!
 We spent 2 days working on the house and clearing land with machetes.  I took no part in land clearing once I heard the possibility of snakes were there.  We were told that a cobra was killed there days earlier by workers clearing the land.  We also spent time at Sanyu Baby Home in Kampala but I will save the baby home for it's own post.
I must note that this is the place where I injured my toe on day 2....see the area where the team is standing above?  Sometime during the day I somehow managed to trip and injure my toe.  Unfortunately, I am still having problems with that toe.  Time to see the doctor again.  Ugh...I will spare you the pictures of that!

No comments: