Monday, May 17, 2010

Doctor appointment

I promised I would update you on the appointment we had at the International Adoption Clinic.  I'm sure the doctor's notes from the first visit read something like this:

"Parents have lost all control and they are in complete denial!"

 Here is what led up to why I think that.  We arrived at our appointment after our 1+ hour drive.  (We brought Claire with us because she had speech later that day.) 

They called us right in.  GREAT!  This won't take long at all!

Fast forward (I wish!) 45 minutes and we are still waiting in our tiny exam room and haven't been seen yet.  By this time Gary and I are taking turns peeling children off of the walls, the doctor's chair (you know the fun one that spins and spins) and trying to keep them from jumping off of the exam table.  I am starting to sweat profusely by now.

In walks the doctor and we begin talking about how things are going.  We had only had Caleb for 3 weeks at this point.  So imagine, in between answering questions we are still taking turns peeling children off of things!  Of course, being the positive people that we are we tell them things are going great.  We have things under control.

Insert first doctor's note here - Parents have lost all control!

Now the questions turn to how are the other kids doing with the new addition.  We tell them that they all love Caleb and the adjustment has been smooth.  They ask specifically how is Claire doing with it all.  We just finish saying she is doing very well when all of a sudden Claire pushes Caleb off of the chair onto the floor!

Insert second doctor's note here - Parents are in complete denial!

We somehow made it through the appointment and then had to subject Caleb to blood work and a renal ultrasound.  He was not impressed but Claire was relieved that it was him and not her.  3 1/2 hours later we walk out exhausted and late for Claire's speech appointment.  We rush across town and still manage to get some speech therapy in while Caleb slept in the stroller the entire time.  I wish we had a double stroller because I think I would have crawled in with him at this point.

Believe it or not, I was brave enough to go back to the clinic for a follow up appointment last week!  That appointment went so much better and less sweat producing!  I am happy to report that all of his lab work came back good and so did most of his vaccine titers.  He however has not gained an ounce.  He weighed exactly the same amount as last time.  The doctor said he was at the 50th percentile for a 12 month old.  WHAT!  Where is all the food going that he has been putting away?  Have I told you before that he eats and eats?  Well, he does.  I'm not worried about it yet because I know he is eating.  Hopefully, one of these times we will take him in and we will see some weight gain. Hey, I'm willing to give him some of mine.  Do you think they would do that kind of transplant?  Maybe I should ask!

3 comments:

Serving the King said...

Girl you crack me up!!! I think we have all been there doing that peeling kids off the wall bit whilst trying to act like perfectly competent parents, thanks for illustrating it so perfectly! Ha, still laughing!!

sierrasmom said...

Hi!! Sierra ate like a horse and didn't gain any wirght for almost 8 months. She did have giardia but even after that she didn't gain as much weight. I think the entire year she only gained 5 pounds which is really not that much for a 3/4 year old

Mom to 5 bugs said...

Oh, dear! I'm betting that doc at the International Adoption Clinic has seen "worse" parents than you.

But, if you do find out about that weight transplant, please let me know! I'd be happy to be an anonymous donor! (:

Miss you, friend!