Sunday, May 22, 2011

Running with the cows!!

This past weekend, our family headed west to run in our first half marathon and 5K.  For some crazy reason, I got in my head that I wanted to run a half marathon for my 40th birthday.  You know..challenge myself to do something I never thought I could do.  Not sure where the idea even came from...I hate running...I always have.  However, my wonderful hubby came along side me and said let's do this.  So we trained together and I found that I loved this time we had.  We could run all by ourselves and talk (yes at first I couldn't run and talk but I got to where I could).  Our running time became a time where we could check in with each other and share our hearts without interruptions.  That is a huge deal when you have 5 kids with 5 busy schedules.  My mom jumped on board too and started training for a 5K.  So last Saturday, Gary and I started our first half marathon; the race was called Running with the cows.  The race benefited a local school in the area.  They had all the milk you could drink after the race...my kids loved that!  Soon after our race began, the 3 big kids, my niece and my mom started their 5K.  It was a cloudy, cool morning which was great BUT it was windy.  Not just a light breeze but wind gusts that would blow you back.  The wind just about did me in but with Gary's support and encouragement I finished the race.  It was not done in blazing speed but I finished.  Every inch of my body hurt but I finished.  I still hate running but I finished!  Will I ever do a half marathon again?  Not likely..you know been there done that!!  I think 5Ks may be more my thing!
Getting my number before the race
 Feeling good...before
 Gary and I before the big race
 The 5K runners
 Claire and her cousin, Mia did gymnastics in the gym while they waited
 Claire
 Mia
 Nicholas did his 5K in 27 minutes
 Hunter
 Brianna
 Sierra (in blue)
 My mom in the white
 Claire and Mia ran in the kids fun run..which was about a mile
 Here Gary and I are coming in..the kids ran out and finished the race with us
 We did it!!
Crossing the finish line!
 Caleb and the cow...

Half marathon down...mission trip to Uganda next!!

2 comments:

Waitingfaithfully said...

A big woooohooo for all of you! I can't believe you ran a half-marathon, I'm sooo impressed! Great job! You're in great shape now for your Ugandan journey!

Miss you, love you!

Tina

sierrasmom said...

Way to go!!! I am sooo proud of you!!!
Kathie